Choosing how to get from one exciting location to another on-time and safely can be something many people worry about. Some people want to book plane tickets, and others opt for the train. The issue with these options is that getting lost, losing luggage, and delays are commonplace.
And worse, if you travel as a group organizing joint booking and seats can be a nightmare.
Say hello to the most versatile travel option: charter bus rental.
Charter bus rental is easy, convenient, and the best way to travel between destinations as a group. There are less delays, more safety and it’s stress-free.
But first, let’s answer some quick questions.
What is a Charter Bus?
A charter bus is a bus that will be reserved for private use. Usually, this will consist of a group of people that are traveling together, and rather than need to make countless pick-up stops, and it will take you safely from one location to another. In other words, a private bus from door to door.
Does a Charter Bus Look Like a Regular Bus?
This will depend on the type of bus that you hire (more on that later), but in general, a charter bus will be sleeker and come with a range of comfort options inside that a regular bus doesn’t have. Most charter buses will have a toilet, bins, somewhere to store personal belongings, ample ‘trunk’ space for luggage, and more comfortable seats than a regular bus.
What Conveniences Are On A Charter Bus?
As mentioned above, you will see a toilet, luggage space, and more comfortable seating. However, depending on the size of the motor coach or minibus you choose, you can also find the following conveniences on your charter bus:
- Reclining seats
- Reading lights
- Power outlets
- iPod docking
- Accessibility options
These conveniences make charter buses more comfortable and convenient than planes, trains, and automobiles. You can usually discuss your needs with the company ahead of booking to ensure that you have everything you need.
How Many Seats Does A Charter Bus Have?
There are a number of charter bus options that will change the amount of seating within the bus itself. Smaller charter buses will have a smaller amount of seats, and larger ones will have more. A regular bus will have up to 56 seats, although minibus options can have between 14-35. It will depend on the size of your party, which one will suit your needs best.
Are There Different Charter Bus Types?
Yes. There are a number of different charter buses. There are entertainer buses, party buses, mini-coaches, standard charter buses, corporate shuttles, and school buses. You should choose your coach based on the needs of your party. For example, if you don’t need to take large luggage, enjoy comfortable seating, and have less than 15 people, then a corporate shuttle is ideal for your charter bus rental.
Can I Charge My Phone On A Charter Bus?
In most cases, with charter bus rental, you can charge your phone using one of the conveniently placed electrical outlets. It is essential that you discuss your needs when it comes to your charter bus rental. This allows groups that are traveling between locations to top up their mobile phone charge, knowing that they aren’t going to have the dreadful 10% battery notice.
Do Charter Buses Have the Internet?
Most modern charter bus rental options come with WiFi. Allowing your group to access those all-important emails, upload it to social media (Instagram, Facebook and Twitter etc.), and stay in contact with loved ones for the duration of their journey.
Can I Sleep on a Charter Bus?
While you can sleep on a charter bus, you will usually have to get comfortable on the reclining chairs rather than laying flat. Using a neck pillow and a blanket, you can have a restful snooze on a charter bus. Some special charter buses like entertainer coaches, often come with bunk beds.
Can I Take Large Luggage on a Charter Bus?
Unlike most other forms of transportation, a charter bus has plenty of space for all of your luggage. And, you are at less risk of being asked to move it or have it get lost during your travel. The large luggage bay that is on many charter bus rentals has enough room to store everything you need – and then some.
Are Charter Buses Accessible For Wheelchairs?
Charter bus companies are required by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) to have wheelchair-accessible coaches when requested. It should be noted that this is unlikely to cover the entire fleet, so it is essential to discuss your needs with the charter bus rental company.
Can I Make Random Stops In A Charter Bus?
Your charter bus is likely to stop every few hours for the comfort of the passengers and the driver. When you book your charter bus, you will give a clearly defined itinerary, and this will be adhered to. If you do request extra stops, and they add to the mileage or time, then you might receive additional charges on top of the price of the charter bus.
Charter Bus Rental Checklist For Success
Planning can be one of the most enjoyable parts of traveling. Choosing how you will get between locations, booking tickets for significant local events, restaurants, and talks. There are a number of things that you can do to make your charter bus rental and travel even more enjoyable. As if the WiFi and comfortable chairs weren’t already great.
Spend some time collecting all of the information you need to choose the right bus. You’re going to need:
- The dates of travel
- The time that you want to leave/arrive
- Amount of people
- Amount of luggage
- Special requirements
- Bus type preference
Once you have collected this information, collate it into a shortlist and give it to the participants of the travel. This will give everyone a clear overview of what will be happening – and allows people to make changes if they are needed. It can also serve as a point of reference if there are misunderstandings later down the line.
This is the most important factor – which bus suits your needs and why? The charter bus rental company can give you all the advice you will need here. The bus type will depend heavily on how mean people in your group. Another factor to consider is how far you will travel. While a smaller bus might be more appealing initially, larger busses can give people the opportunity to sit alone for a while to get some rest and provide a higher level of comfort.
When you know how much baggage you can take, it is essential to let each member of your group know how much they can take. If you have a few members of your party who have to take more luggage, consider how comfortable it would be on a smaller bus. The chances are – not very.
When you are booking a charter bus, you have the luxury to relax and enjoy your journey thanks to the many facilities you have access to. Here are some conveniences to consider:
- AC – imagine being on a bus in the peak of summer, without AC. It will be uncomfortable at best.
- WiFi – we live in a hyper-connected world, and while it’s nice to disconnect once in a while, the hours traveling on a charter bus can be more enjoyable while catching up on emails and browsing social media.
- Reclining seats – this will allow your party to relax even more.
- Reading lights – if you are traveling through the evening, not everyone can sleep on a moving vehicle; reading lights mean that your group members won’t be sitting in the dark bored.
- Bathroom / Lavatory – most charter buses will have a toilet, but you can check before booking
- Storage space – Room to place coats, bags and lighter luggage within the cabin can make the trip more comfortable and allows people to keep personal belongings with them
- Wheelchair accessibility – If there are members of your group that are going to need wheelchair accessibility, then make sure your charter bus rental company is made aware in advance.
Although there is plenty of room for luggage, if you multiply that by the number of people who are going to be on the charter bus, then luggage adds up quickly. Have a smaller bag that you can keep with you with items like:
- Charger cables
- Spare socks
- Neck pillow
- Light blanket
This smaller bag will usually go under your seat or above our chair in an overhead compartment.
TOP TIP: Add your charger cables into a Ziploc bag, so they are easy to find when you need them.
Eating and Drinking
Unlike the plane or the train, you cannot usually purchase food or drink on a charter bus. It is important that you make sure that you take that into account when you are packing your bags and arranging all of the details in the early stages. If the group knows each other well, you can help to arrange it so everyone brings something different to share, or you can pool some money together and bulk buy a range of items. You are allowed to bring your own food onboard. You could also opt to purchase food at the designed comfort stops.
TOP TIP: Travelling for long hours can be dehydrating, so make sure you drink enough water.
Long-distance journeys are exciting, but after the initial buzz of excitement has died down, you might be ready to watch a movie on the TV/DVD/VCR or on your mobile phone or tablet. Make sure that you have taken some items to help you be comfortable too. You can recline your chair back as a starting point. Here are some extra tips for traveling in comfort:
- Wear your most comfortable clothing, nothing too tight and opt for breathable fabrics – elastic waistbands, soft t-shirts, and consider light layers.
- When it comes to your footwear, think about the final location and consider light trainers instead of dress shoes
- Extra snacks like oat bars, dried fruits, nuts (as long as there are no allergies onboard) are great options to snack on.
- Stretch your legs at every opportunity, even if you don’t feel like leaving the charter bus. It is important for your circulation and can stop you from feeling restless.
- Headphones can help you drown out the noise of the road, and reduce the chatter that you can hear – allowing you to unwind.
- Toiletries like a small travel toothbrush, small tube of toothpaste, wet wipes, and a comb will help you feel refreshed rather than disheveled after you take a nap onboard. (Try to avoid using aerosols and sprays as not everyone will appreciate it).
- Some people enjoy reading while traveling, and other people, not so much. If you have hours of the journey ahead of you, then something to read can be a welcome distraction – even more, if you don’t typically have time for reading!
- If you have a streaming subscription, you can take advantage of the travel time and watch a movie you have meant to watch.
- Neck pillow, pillow, and blanket can make your charter bus seat even more comfortable.
- Mints and ginger boiled sweets can help people who get a touch of travel sickness and can serve as breath fresheners.
TOP TIP: You can purchase travel-size memory foam pillow and neck pillows that are light and easy to pack. These travel pillows up less space than traditional pillows.
Once you have booked everything, check back in with your charter bus rental company to make sure that the details you have are correct. You will most likely have an email that you can print, but double-checking is to everyone’s benefit.
Charter bus rental is the safest and most convenient way to travel between locations in a group. It guarantees you can travel together; there is enough space for luggage and offers optimal comfort.